OPPO 105 Mods
10-1-2013 : Changed the output coupling caps to polyprops for even better sound. Damped more parts for more transparency. Paralleled the DAC outputs for purer, cleaner sound.
We have added a linear power supply replacement for the switching supply. This power supply uses a 100 watt toroid transformer, 3 rectifying bridges and over 71,000 uf of sound selected capacitors. Better separation of instruments, better imaging, cleaner and more transparent sound. This is a serious upgrade.
Advanced mods are available including a new single j-fet output stage. This is super transparent sound. Now our output stage is better than anything out there. However, we do much more than just a great output stage.
If a mod company does not address every one of the things I do then they will not get the kind of results that I offer. Just doing a great output stage or doing a bunch of damping and shielding is not enough. You need to address the whole player.
Mod to 2 channel output board:
1. Change all 8 power supply diodes in the analog linear supply to great sounding soft recovery diodes. This makes the sound more detailed, 3D and more musical.
2. Add two WA Quantum capacitor chips to the two large power supply caps in the analog stage. Way more real and detailed. Add four more small capacitor quantum dots to power supply caps.
3. J-fet buffer output stage for both unbalanced and balanced outs: This zero feedback j-fet buffer output stage is super, super pure sounding. This output stage uses our hand made cascoded current sourced shunt regulator system. Only one fet in the signal path. No I-V converter, no op amps. There is just one resistor, one j-fet and one coupling cap in series with the signal. The resistors are super world class (better than any resistor I have ever heard). The coupling cap is a JB JFX polyprop cap with a WA Quantum dot on it and it is bypassed by my modified Wima .33uf polyprop cap. This output stage is more sonically pure than anything anyone else is doing, including tube/fet stages. The only downside of this output stage is that it puts out just 1V RMS per phase. If you have a preamp then you are fine. However, if you are running the Oppo straight into an amp or into a passive line stage then you might not have enough gain. The loss from stock is 6db.....maybe a couple of o'clocks on the volume knob. This mod gives you modded unbalanced and balanced outs.
4. Add a WA Quantum Semi conductor chip to the two channel DAC. More detailed and real.
5. Change 4 capacitors on the DAC power supply to better caps including 2 modified .33 Wima film caps and also add one WA Quantum chip to one of the caps. Cleaner and more focused and real.
Price of the 2 channel board mod is currently
plus return shipping or free shipping if you just send in the board.
Add a WA Quantum chip to the multichannel DAC (
I can raise the output level of the to as much as 4-5 volts RMS per phase is you need the extra gain if you are running the Oppo directly to a power amp/speaker combo that has low gain (
no charge for different output voltage
). Most people will be happy with the 2.3 Volts RMS of the modded player. I can also lower the output voltage, if desired. The modded player has 100 ohm output impedance on all channels.
1. Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX installed on AC input. More 3D and pure and clear.
3. Change the switching power supply that is used for the main processing board and transport to a linear supply. This makes the imaging and depth much better and allows for much cleaner transients, clarity especially when the music gets dynamic and just plain more real. $400 installed.
4. Add two Mad Scientist Neo Kegs to the AC input and replace AC input wire with Furutech PCOCC wire and the stock IEC with a Shurter IEC. This gets rid of the last "digital grain" and makes it sound more pure. Highly recommended.
5. Black the underside of both CD covers and all around the laser assembly with flat oil based paint. This makes all discs sound warmer, more musical and cleaner. Damp the disc clamp with constrained layer damping material. This makes the sound cleaner, clearer, faster and gives a better tonal balance. Damp the disc clamp holder and the transport cover with constrained layer damping material. Way more natural, pure, detailed and real sounding. Apply AudioMagic Blackout Paint (damps and shields) to the CD tray and then paint over that with conductive black paint. Cleaner and more real.
6. Remove toslink output connector......way more pure sound. Free. You really need to have me do this!
All out two channel balanced and unbalanced only: $530 + $1290 =
I can also raise the output of the headphone amp by at least 6 db if you need more gain.
This mod is free to anyone who gets any level of mod.
Warrantee information: Modding the Oppo in any way voids the factory warrantee. We guarantee our work for life (yours, mine or the players). If the player EVER fails on its own (not relate to anything we did) then we will fix it for parts plus $25 per hour labor (pretty darn cheap). The Oppo players are some of the most reliable in the world. We have not had to repair a single modded Oppo 93 or 95 (the 83 series used a transport mechanism that had some problems....but have had no problems with the newer Sony transport mechanisms used since then). If you want a warrantee then for $50 I will give you a two year total warrantee.
105 showing 6 channels of optional balanced outs installed.
Pic above shows all out mods to the two channel board.
Pic above showing low jitter clock, WA Quantum stickers and modified power supply to DAC.
Pic above showing high speed soft recovery diodes with constained layer damping material on one side and and WA Quantum Chips on the other.
OMG! You've really outdone yourself with this last set of mods to my Oppo 105!
While I thought the original Oppo w mods was worth while and sounded better than any of the previous players I'd got from you,
I think the jfet output stage and the various extra things you did, have taken it way, way beyond. I was playing Brian Finnegan's
'the Ravishing Genius of Bones' CD. He is a master Irish whistle player and consumate musician. The tone, detail and staging of all
the layered parts and players on this CD was stunning, just stunning.
Makes me want to call into work and tell them I have to get emergency surgery and I'll be out for a few weeks. Long enough to
play every worthwhile CD in my collection and hear them sound better than I've ever heard them before!
12-19-2014: email received today:
Sorry haven't reported on Oppo mod performance. Busy listening and enjoying the unit. Delightful and makes music. Your unit replaced a 777ES level 6 mod by VSE with the "breath of life" pwr supply mod. "replaced" is the operative word. As much as I loved the VSE, your Oppo is in a different universe. Have no desire to return to the VSE. Your Oppo mod=Great music.
7-18-2014 : We now have a mod for just the 2 channel ouput board. You send us your output board and we install the zero feedback j-fet balanced buffer stage (including custom shunt regulators), low jitter clock, soft recovery diodes, damp regulator heat sinks, install WA quantum chips, install better parts for the DAC supply and test it and return it to you via priority mail for $700 including return shipping to the US....shipping additional for overseas customers. We can do this for overseas customers as well, This gives you less down time, less shipping cost and increidible sound for very little money. This output stage is as good as anything and we do much more than just an output stage....incredible vaue. The second pic below shows the entire mod plus the optional $50 headphone mod.
Pic above shows damping material on transport clamp holder, damping material on disc clamp, blacking of laser cable, and treatment of disc tray (two different types of treatments). Also you can see part of the linear supply and the Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX
This Oppo got balanced fet buffers on center channel and differential DC coupled balanced outs on the L and R Surrounds and modded sub channel too!
15% off on all out mods
Pic above shows modfied Linear Supply, Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX and Mad Scientist Neo Kegs on Furutech PCOCC AC input wires hardwired to linear supply.
Check out our comparison with the Modwright mods
Pic above showing latest wiring: more direct on the output and using one half milllion volt zapped hook up wire (Audio Magic custom wire) hardwired directly to denuded output caps.